Tuesday 28 April 2015

Rabbi Ronnie Cahana

Watching Kitra Cahana's touching TED talk on her father, Rabbi Ronnie Cahana, the rabbi at the congregation in Montreal that my family has been a member of all my life, I was reminded of a meeting that took place some weeks in anticipation of my brother's bar mitzvah. Rabbi Cahana had called our family into his office for a chat. Once we were seated he asked us each individually "what is your relationship with God?". Coming from a less than religious family, my brother and father being proclaimed atheists, I suppose the awkwardness we all felt was palpable. We had been confronted with such a genuine and honest question and we were afraid of disappointing him. I remember giving a similar answer to how I suspect I would respond today: I know its there somewhere but at what capacity and to what extent, well, I guess that changes all the time. 

Rabbi Cahana suffered a stroke in 2011 leaving him in a state of paralysis from his feet to just below his eyes. He has since been recovering slowly, but beautifully. Here is the link to Kitra's talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/kitra_cahana_my_father_locked_in_his_body_but_soaring_free?language=en

Link to Rabbi Ronnie Cahana's website: http://rabbicahana.com


Photograph by Kitra Cahana

No comments:

Post a Comment