Tuesday 14 April 2015

My MA Thesis - Challenge for Change

As my classes have come to an end and my essays for them are wrapping up, I have finally made my decision with regard to my thesis. I had been previously struggling in my attempts to find a topic that really meant something to me. During a conversation with my father in a moment of panic, he wisely advised me to chill out. He said that my idea would come to me. I righteously explained to him that these things don’t just come to you but you have to go and find them. How wrong I was! That very night in bed, it all became so obvious and indeed it did come to me. I would go to the place I had returned to in my mind time and time again – Fogo.

Since then, I have been watching the Challenge for Change films, a project by the National Film Board of Canada in collaboration with Memorial University of Newfoundland. The collection of films was made in 1967 with the hopes of facilitating “interpersonal, intervillage and island to mainland dialogue”. The idea was to get the residents of Fogo Island to articulate the problems of their own community as they saw fit. Once completed, the films would be played back to them with the hopes of instilling confidence within its participants and viewers, in their own ability to mobilize social change.

All of the videos can be viewed for free on the National Film Board’s website. Click here to watch the introduction. 


Of course, more to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment