Thursday 29 January 2015

Adventures of the Black Square

Whitechapel Gallery's newest exhibition called Adventures of the Black Square begins with a tiny work by Malevich of indeed a black square. The ground floor consists mainly of works by the historical avant-garde (Malevich, Mondrian) and those directly influenced (Albers). I was happy to see works from the Brazilian Neo-concretist movement by Lygia Pape and Lygia Clark and will be working on Clark's Bichos for an upcoming essay which I am currently researching. I was also delighted to see a work by Eva Hesse included, an artist whom I have a soft spot for. I also stood on a Carl Andre floor piece for the first time; my excited face surely exposed my art history geekiness.

The first floor exhibited more contemporary works that, some more loosely than others, refer back to geometric abstraction. Probably my favourite of these works was David Batchelor's October series.

What struck me particularly however, was how much I loved Sophie Taeuber-Arp's geometric tapestries which I am considering writing my MA dissertation on. Very inspiring!


David Batchelor, October series
http://www.frieze.com/issue/review/david-batchelor/




Sophie Taeuber-Arp
http://goandgoo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/thursday-sophie-taeuber-arp.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment