Friday 26 December 2014

Pressure to Tweet

Having started Hot Tub Astronaut, a new e-zine for contemporary poetry and fiction, I'm confronted with the pressure to tweet. Its becoming clear to me how much duress the internet can put on a person to develop an online presence and to gather readers, contributors etc. Its difficult to relax. I think I have changed the HTA website one thousand times and still I am unsure of it. And then there is twitter. What to tweet? Holiday gifts? What I am reading? That submissions are open they're open they're open... And then there is a whole other level of pressure... to produce work yourself, to produce literature and to be creative and then... to find a way to demonstrate this creativity. I guess I may be in one of those phases where I have gotten a taste of what it is like to be published and then you find yourself writing for reasons that are different from your initial drive to write. Perhaps its narcissism, at least a little. Either way, I guess writing is always a struggle in some way or another and takes a lot of effort which is perhaps in conflict with what you are supposed to do during the holidays... that is, not to do much, to refresh, if you will. 

I published my own poem on Hot Tub Astronaut today and although I'm not too sure how I feel about self-publishing in this way, I think its probably a good idea that I participate in what I'm hoping others will too. I suppose there may be this inherent fear of your project failing (at least for me) and so this seems like a good way to be a part of it and help to gather support. 

Something less scary/risky though is my excitement about delving into my new Tadeusz Różewicz book that I received as a gift for the holidays. 

http://www.polskieradio.pl/7cffe228-3887-4206-af41-b57bc426be84.file

No comments:

Post a Comment