Tuesday 15 September 2015

Dialogue: Being Better

Dialogue: Being Better

-       I like what you said earlier about Feminism. About it being good for everyone.
-       Thanks. I really believe that.
-       I like what you said about that movie.
-       The one with the girls and the boys?
-       Yeah. Made me want to watch it.
-       You should watch it.
-       I like what you said about having a hot meal. About hospitality and the Bible.
-       I learnt it all when I was very young. When they were trying to teach us how to be good in God’s eyes.
-       I like what you said about God.
-       What did I say about God?
-       How he’s in the Internet.
-       He is. I really think that.
-       I like the way you sat down just then. It was both feminine and masculine at the same time in the best ways.
-       How come you notice these things? And why do you like me so much?
-       Its not like that. I’m just trying to see good things in the world. Its just something I’m trying out.
-       Like, noticing detail?
-       I’m trying to be a generous person. In a way, a kind person. To be generous in my world views.
-       I like that.
-       Thanks.
-       I like it when people are quite conscious of themselves, of improving themselves. I hate people who don’t think they ever should change really.
-       I’m trying not to feel hatred.
-       That’s probably a good idea. I guess I don’t hate them. I just think its more honest when you see where you are lacking.
-       Someone once told me: Always know who is better than you. And I thought it was the most brilliant statement.
-       Better how?
-       Whatever better means to you. Know who’s better than you so you know where you are and you have a sense of where you might like to be.
-       Do you think this is all a bit too structured? Too formulated? That if you are trying to be something good all the time, you aren’t being authentic? Maybe you might even be being boring?
-       Perhaps.
-       Do you think nice is a tradeoff for boring? Do you have to choose one or the other? That in some way, they are mutually exclusive?
-       I hope not.
-       Me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment