Tuesday 15 September 2015

Dialogue: Technomind

Dialogue: Technomind

-       I can’t think.
-       What do you mean?
-       My mind is blank. It feels blank and weird.
-       Weird how?
-       I feel like I’ve forgotten it somewhere and I can’t gain access to it. As if I can’t even call it and there’s no phone service or Wifi or anything. I’m totally disconnected.
-       So you see your mind as some kind of technology?
-       Isn’t everything nowadays?
-       I’d like to think not. I’d like to think when I read a book, that it is separate from technology.
-       Do you own a Kindle?
-       No.
-       Would you ever buy one?
-       I’d like to think not.
-       Why are you so resistant and repulsed by technology?
-       I’m not repulse by it.
-       You sound like you kind of are.
-       I’m not. I just don’t experience my mind as a technology. I just don’t think everything is technology. At least not yet. And maybe I’m trying to hold onto that.
-       I don’t know. I can’t think. I’m disconnected. I’m running low on juice.
-       You’re tired.
-       No. I slept like a baby. This is about battery, it’s a different kind of energy. It’s a fear of dying and having to plug myself back in.
-       How can you plug yourself in if you are dead?
-       Its just my mind, not my body.
-       None of this makes any sense to me.
-       You’re old fashioned.
-       I’m not. I know what its like to feel tired, to feel like you can’t think. I just don’t know what you’re talking about with all of your sci-fi metaphors.
-       They aren’t sci-fi. They’re happening now! Its all happening now. And they’re not metaphors either. This is real life. Soon we will all think of ourselves as robots, as machines, whether body or mind come first for you, you’ll be here soon.
-       This is beginning to get weird.
-       This is the future.
-       Maybe not. I’m not convinced.
-       You’ll see. I’m going home.

No comments:

Post a Comment